Four modules – 8 weeks each – presented as 75-minute weekly live video conferences by Dr. Kenneth Perlmutter of the Family Recovery Institute
Join a diverse group of clinicians seeking to enhance understanding of and approaches to family therapy with families experiencing significant psychopathology in their midst. Didactic, experiential, case material driven sessions with carefully chosen readings in a lively interactive discussion format. Learn to more effectively engage difficult families and reduce the disabling effects of intense counter-transference.
- Design approaches to effectively engage parents, grandparents, siblings, offspring and SOs
- Identify disabling and empowering elements of wounded or dysfunctional family systems
- Describe the effects of epigenetically transmitted response styles in individuals and systems
- Incorporate cross-cultural and intergenerational factors into well-formed treatment plans
- Name the unique aspects of working with families experiencing the topic focus of the module (e.g., addiction, trauma, suicide, psychosis)
- Practice methods to manage difficult, resistant or hostile family members
- Present family case material in a way that maximizes understanding and application of theory
- Harness counter-transference reactions to eliminate their interference with successful therapy
Each eight-week module comprises 75-minute (one hour, 15 minutes) live video conferences and includes didactic, experiential, readings and case material. Interactive group format with case material presented by volunteer attendees.
Typical 8-Week Module:
Family Systems overview and theoretical considerations including readings
Specialized clinical focus of current module (see schedule) including experiential
Case presentations including counter-transference management strategies
Jul 8-Aug 26
Family System Treatment Approaches with Substance Abuse & Addiction in the System (including Process Addictions and Screen Dependency)
Sept 30 – Nov 18
Family System Treatment Approaches with Anxiety, Depression, Mood Disorders and Suicide in the System
Jan 13, 2021 – Mar 17
Family System Treatment Approaches with Trauma and Personality including PTSD and Cluster B Personality Disorders in the System
Apr 14 – Jun 2
Family System Treatment Approaches with Thought Disorder, Psychosis and Schizophrenia-related Conditions in the System
Wednesday evenings 4:30-5:45 pm Pacific Time
Tuition: $350 per clinician per 8-week module. Includes 10.0 CEs*
For more information, contact us here or call 415-322-0939.
*80% minimum attendance required
PLEASE NOTE: There are two psychologists in Northern California named Kenneth Perlmutter. I practice in San Rafael at the Family Recovery Institute and specialize in individual and family psychotherapy and education.